15th Annual Chesley Awards
Hyatt Hotel, Live Stage Area, Riverside Center. Friday, 7:30 pm,
The Chesleys, named for the great astronomical artist Chesley Bonestell,
began in 1985 as a means for the Science Fiction and Fantasy art community
to recognize individual works and achievements during a given year. This
year's awards are for works and achievements in the period from 01-Jan-1999
The awards will be presented at ceremonies
held at Chicon 2000, the 58th World Science Fiction Convention (Worldcon).
All convention members are invited to attend.
Slide projectors will provide good views of all the nominees. Anyone with
an interest in art is welcome to stop by and share in the presentation of
this year's well-deserved awards.
Each category can be sponsored by an individual or corporation.
Tor Books [www] is
sponsoring the Best Hardback Cover Illustration category.
Baen Books [www] is
Best Paperback Book Illustration category
(they are also one of the nominees for Best Art Direction).
writer and illustrator of the A Distant Soil graphic novels, with
is sponsoring Best Magazine Cover.
Warner Aspect is not only
sponsoring Best Interior Illustration, but is also providing us with one
of our Masters of Ceremony, Betsy Mitchell, a senior editor for Warner
an Australian print and sculpture dealer is sponsoring Best Product
Worlds of Wonder, one of the premier art galleries specializing in
fantasy and science fiction art in the world, is sponsoring Best
Best Monochrome Unpublished is being sponsored by Atlantis, a
Cincinnati-based manufacturer of custom pewter pins with diving and ocean
themes (they also publish and distribute mermaids prints).
Moore Creations, the company that created the resin statue of Lady Death,
as well as other superb comic-related collectible statuettes, is
appropriately sponsoring the Bet Three Dimensional category.
Best Gaming-Related is being sponsored by that giant of the gaming
industry, Wizards of the Coast, who also designed and printed this year's
beautiful Chesley Brochure.
Contribution to ASFA is being sponsored by Del Rey.
Achievement is sponsored by Paper Tiger. Paper Tiger is also providing us
other Master of Ceremonies, the delightful Paul Barnett.
The nominees for the fifteenth annual Chesley awards, given each year by
the Association of Science
Fiction and Fantasy Artists (ASFA) [www]
for outstanding work in the field, have been announced.
ASFA is a non-profit, educational organization dedicated to serving the
visual arts of Science Fiction, Fantasy and related topics. Membership is
open to anyone with an interest in the art of the genre, and includes an
international population of artists, collectors, management, publishers
and the general public.
By category, the nominees are as follows:
Best Cover Illustration: Hardback Book
- Bob Eggleton, Dragon and Phoenix by Joanne Bertin
- Bob Eggleton, Rainbow Mars by Larry Niven
- Jody Lee, The Black Swan by Mercedes Lackey
- Todd Lockwood, The Spine of the World by R.A. Salvatore
- Michael Whelan, Otherland: Mountain of Black Glass by Tad Williams
Best Cover Illustration: Paperback Book
- Rowena Morrill, The Garden of Stone by Victoria Strauss
- John Jude Palencar, The Terrorists of Irustan by Louise Marley
- Jean Pierre Targete, Wrapt in Crystal by Sharon Shinn
- James Warhola, Callahan's Crosstime Saloon by Spider Robinson
- Stephen Youll, Eberien: Book One; the Company of Glass by Valery Leith
Best Cover Illustration: Magazine
- Jill Bauman, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, June 1999
- Alan Clark, Cemetary Dance, Fall 1999
- Bob Eggleton, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, August 1999
- Greg Hildebrandt, Realms of Fantasy, August 1999
- Ron Walotsky, Fantasy and Science Fiction Magazine, April 1999
Best Interior Illustration
- Vincent di Fate, Rules of Engagement by Elizabeth Moon (frontispiece for
ltd. edition copy)
- James Gurney, Dinotopia: First Flight by James Gurney
- Jael, The Little Princess by Francis Hodgson Burnett
- Marianne Plumridge, "Rainbow Mothra," G-Fan, March/April 1999
- Omar Rayyan "Weighing the Elephant," Spider Magazine, March 1999
Best Color Work, Unpublished
- Bob Eggleton, Dragonstorm
- Marc Fishman, Titania
- Stephen Hickman, At the Entmoot (first displayed 1999)
- Don Maitz, King Solomon's mines
- Marianne Plumridge, Aphrodite Rising
- Michael Whelan, Peace
Best Monochrome Work, Unpublished
- Rick Berry, Artemis
- Bob Eggleton, Dragonhenge
- Stanley Morrison, Asian Wonders
- Sheila Rayyan, Claire et la Luna
- Sheila Rayyan, It Followed Me Home, Can I Keep It?
Best Three-Dimensional Art
- Marian Crane, Maschera d'Osso, ivory, fiber, displayed at World Fantasy
- Halla Fleisher, Never Say Die sculpey, displayed at Philcon
- Johnna Klukas, From the Astrologer's Anteroom, furniture grouping
- Marianne Plumridge, Heartsong bronze
- Lisa Snellings, Bendyman, mixed media
Award for Artistic Achievement
- John Berkey
- Rick Berry
- David Cherry
- Stephen Hickman
- Ron Walotsky
Best Art Direction
- Jim Baen, Baen Books
- Cathy and Arnie Fenner, Spectrum and the book about Frank Frazetta,
- Irene Gallo, Tor Books
- Don Puckey, Warner Books
- Ron Spears, Wizards of the Coast
Best Gaming-Related Illustration
- Brom, Warriors of Heaven and Guide to Hell (two-sided Duelist Insert
- Donato Giancola, Ivy Scholar, card art, Magic: the Gathering
- Carol Heyer, Dune card, put out by Last Unicorn Games, with Wizards of
- Todd Lockwood, Creatures of the Night, Golems
- R.K. Post, Unmask, card art, Magic: the Gathering
Best Product Illustration
- Richard Bober, Cleopatra Plate art for Hamilton Mint
- Ian McCaig, character and costume design for Star Wars, Episode One.
- Kinuko Y. Craft, Honey Lemon Ginseng Green Tea box art for Celestial
- Keith Parkinson, cover art for Everquest, 989 Studios/Sony
- Drew Struzan, Star Wars: Episode One: Phantom Menace poster
Award for Contribution to ASFA
- Jael, Chesley Team Leader in 1999
- Jeff Watson, ASFA website design and maintenance
- Mel. White, Editorship of the ASFA Quarterly
- Wizards of the Coast, Financial assistance and layout of last year's
Chesley Awards Brochure.
Table of Contents |
What's New |